Mohanlal in a still from ‘L2: Empuraan’
Antony Perumbavoor, producer of the movie L2: Empuraan, on Tuesday (April 1, 2025) rejected reports that actor Mohanlal lacked knowledge about the content in the film that had invited a massive online backlash from right-wing supporters.
“All of us behind the movie, including Mohanlal knew about the story of the film and I would not like to respond to reports, which say otherwise,” he said in Kochi.

Filmmaker Major Ravi had earlier stated that the actor was not involved in the scripting or editing of the film and had not even watched it before its release.
Mr. Mohanlal had expressed “regret” on his and the film’s team’s behalf for the “distress caused to his loved ones. “
In a Facebook post on March 30, he said he knew that some of the political and social themes that have been introduced in the making of the Empuraan, the second part in the ‘Lucifer’ franchise, have caused “great distress to many of his loved ones”

On whether they agreed to carry out ‘voluntary’ cuts following ‘threats’ from right-wing elements, Mr. Antony said “it is our responsibility to make required corrections, if the content of the movie hurt even a common man. It was not following any threats,” he said.
Mr. Antony said only around two minutes and a few seconds have been removed in the re-edited version of L2: Empuraan.
Asked why the movie’s scriptwriter Murali Gopy has not yet shared the post by Mr. Mohanlal, Mr. Antony said it was “a joint decision and there was no room for any controversy over it.” He said there was “no reason for isolating” Mr. Prithviraj Sukumaran (the director) in the controversy.
He said the audiences have received the movie well, going by the ₹200-crore gross collections earned worldwide as on March 31.
He also confirmed that the third instalment in the ‘Lucifer’ film franchise will reach theatres.
Published – April 01, 2025 12:18 pm IST